5/25/17 Star Wars

High 50s with frequent heavy rains, fog when it isn't raining.

I see today is the 40th anniversary of the release of Star Wars.  The days do run away like horses over the hills as the saying goes.  I'd love to be able to write something about how that movie was life-changing blah blah blah but the reality is I was a 10 year old kid who was already predisposed to like space operas by being raised on a diet of Star Trek, cheesy Japanese monster movies (sorry, "kaiju" as the kids say today) and my dad's handed-down sci-fi pulp novels that he read until he died.  So while Star Wars may have been the entry point for millions into the world of the space opera it was just another well-loved entry in the genre for me.  Don't get me wrong, I loved it and saw each of the first three movies multiple times in the theater.  I even did something rare for me for Return of the Jedi which was to cut out of high school and head over to the theater for an afternoon showing.  I forget if that makes me a cool kid or a cool nerd, though cool nerds weren't a thing in 1983.  If you were considered a "nerd" it was much more likely that you were abused and mocked for knowing stuff about stuff.  Where I grew up ignorance of that fancy book learnin' stuff was a virtue and really, not much has changed.

I like to think I have, however, and as much as I've liked this decade's Star Wars movies I enjoy this kind more.  To each their own Star Wars.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wizard Of Oz-Dark Side Of The Moon Blog For Top Chef

More Posts About Buildings and Food

Anniversary Day