Please, no wagering

For those of you who might be a bit bored with the last few everyday real-life type posts, here’s a nice little diversion into the land of unreality. This will be a discussion of my favorite circus dating back to when I had very little bread. Yes, the Stanley Cup playoffs are here, and I know you’re all wondering “hey, what does that guy who writes about garbage cans and social anxiety disorder think about that?” Well, I’m glad you asked Mr. Voice In My Head. ‘Cause I’m gonna tell you:

Montreal over Boston in 5 games: The B’s will finally win a game vs. the Habs this year, but Montreal has too much speed and the better goaltender. Youppi dances right on into the second round

Washington over Philadelphia in 5 games
: The Caps are on an amazing roll aided by the gift of Huet from the Habs at the trading deadline. The legend of Alex Ovechkin growing into the Russian Messier should begin to grow here. If I’m wrong, Philly has a shot. I don’t think I’m wrong.

New Jersey over New York in 7 games: The Devils aren’t that good offensively, but they still have the best money goalie active today. The Rangers have the worst captain in the NHL (way to go to the press to criticize the team’s coach and system a week before the playoffs) and are far too soft on the blueline to deal with any sustained forechecking (sorry kids, Staal will be the goods in a few years, but he’s not ready to be a shutdown D yet). The Devils could screw this up if they don’t attack the Rangers physically often enough, but with a Sutter behind the bench I doubt this will be a problem.

Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 7 games: Actually, I’m not even convinced it’ll take 7, but Ottawa has shown a little life lately and Pittsburgh is inexperienced enough to blow a game or two. Still, Ottawa is a team with a dysfunctional dressing room, questionable goaltending and a coach who, save last season has spent his entire career bombing out early in the playoffs. Oh yeah, and injuries to Alfredsson and Fisher don’t help either. Maybe only 5 games for this one.

Detroit over Nashville in 6 games: It’ll take 6 because Nashville (who admittedly I’ve seen practically not at all this season) will sneak up on Detroit and the Wings don’t have the leadership they used to. Still, the talent advantage is overwhelming but the Preds will take enough out of the Wings to ensure that they don’t make it out of the conference.

Calgary over San Jose in 6 games: The Sharks are on an amazing roll just like the Caps, but I’ve never been a Nabokov fan at crunch time and the Sharks have found a way to screw the pooch the last few go-rounds. Self-contradiction is a big part of sports punditry, don’t you think? The Flames have a solid, experienced leader at wing (Iginla) D (Phaneuf) and in goal (Kipper). They’ve been a bit of a schizophrenic team this season but I think they’ll get it together in the playoffs. They remind me of the Devils in that they win series and you look back and go “how the hell did that happen?” Oh yeah, and there’s the old “a 7 seed upsets a 2 seed almost every year” thing too, and it ain’t happening in the East.

Colorado over Minnesota in 6 games: I think the old goats on the Avs have one last run in them, and Theodore has been pretty solid down the stretch. Minnesota will learn that you can’t fight your way through a playoff round in 2008.

Anaheim over Dallas in 6: Anaheim looks poised to grab their second straight Cup now that Scott Niedermeyer and Teemu Selanne are back from their Roger Clemens-type early season “retirements” and are therefore rested and ready to roll. Brad Richards has struggled since landing in Dallas with a splash (5 assists in his first game if memory serves) and Marty Turco is good but Giguere is better.

So there you have it. If past form is an indicator of future performance I should get 5 or 6 out of these 8 right but we’ll see in two weeks no? Ah hell, I spent too much time curling this year to really get a handle on things like I used to. That's my excuse if I'm wrong.

Comments

R R Rabbids said…
aaaand now that I've got that out of my system... back to the social anxiety disorder.
DC said…
Yours or corporate America's?

Popular posts from this blog

More Posts About Buildings and Food

Wizard Of Oz-Dark Side Of The Moon Blog For Top Chef

Anniversary Day