6/8/17 The Salad Bar of Inevitable Disappointment

High 60s and mostly sunny.

I usually bring lunch to work. This used to be called "brown bagging", but on account of the fact that I use supermarket shopping bags most of them aren't brown, in fact they're almost all white or yellow (Shop Rite) but "white bagging" sounds racist and "yellow bagging" sounds like a sex act involving urine and/or the current President of the United States.  

I didn't bring lunch today because we were away last weekend so I headed downstairs to the overpriced locavore/organic sandwich and salad place only to find that they were closed due to what looked like a burst pipe or in any event it was some kind of flood.  Thanks to the never ending development of the neighborhood in which I work all of my favored alternatives are now gone, boarded up and waiting for the wrecking ball followed by the luxury hotel or condo.  This leaves what I call the salad bar of inevitable disappointment which is a place that's a typical midtown pay by the pound salad bar, sneeze guard and all where the food always looks good but then you pay for it and get sticker shock (it's over $10 a pound and you hit a pound pretty quickly with a few pieces of chicken and some salad) and you get it back to your desk and the salad is wilty from being in with the warm chicken and the chicken is pretty mediocre.

The fried chicken used to be better but now all they have fried are wings.  I remember one time I walked into the SBOID and there was a gentleman yelling at one of the workers about the fact that the fried chicken was on a bed of sliced onions and "everybody knows you don't put no onion on no fried chicken"!  I didn't have a problem with it.  The onions added a faint level of alium flavor to the chicken that made it unique and now that it's just wings there are no onions and the chicken tastes like the microwave kind you get out of the freezer.  So no more fried chicken for me.  Today I got two roasted chicken thighs and two barbecued chicken thighs and some salad, was appalled that it was $15, got back to my desk and it was OK, but vaguely disappointing as the barbecue chicken didn't have much of a barbecue taste.

This is the definition of a first-world problem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wizard Of Oz-Dark Side Of The Moon Blog For Top Chef

More Posts About Buildings and Food

Anniversary Day