6/16/17 Overnight

High 60s and cloudy.  One of my favorite weather conditions.

Today I was going to write (or rather, pay Bob to write) about my experiences as an overnight worker.  Fortunately I thought to see if I had told that story before and what do you know, I had.  So there goes today's homily for the most part.  The only thing to add is with almost a decade of additional perspective I can say that I peaked at 17.  I was the best assistant baker at that Dunkin Donuts for a few shining months and as I careen down the hill towards age 50 I realize I've never even been close to being the best at anything else I ever attempted.

I still love the overnights and I wish I could be awake for them, unfortunately my current career situation and aging renders that impossible.  If I'm awake at 4am these days it's either because I have to pee or a one of the cats decided they wanted an early breakfast. Which is too bad because the middle of the night is the most peaceful time.  The older I get the more the tyranny of daylight bothers me, particularly those bright and sunny days that try to force you to rush about doing things like some annoyingly happy neighbor who has just fallen in love again and can't wait to have lunch with you to tell you how great life is.  Give me the quiet companion of 3am who just wants to sit next to you and listen to music any time.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wizard Of Oz-Dark Side Of The Moon Blog For Top Chef

More Posts About Buildings and Food

Anniversary Day