More Posts About Buildings and Food

This is a Sweetmeal Digestive Biscuit. It is the finest cracker I have ever eaten. I love it with either a bit of mild blue cheese (which unfortunately for me they only identify as "blue mould cheese" on the buffet) or on its own. It is delicious, and I will be harassing my nephew who is currently in the UK for the summer to bring some back for me as I don't think they're easily found in the US.

What else have I been eating? Well, finally had some reindeer filet last night. Looks like beef, is tender like filet mignon but has a slightly stronger beefy flavor. Still, if I told you it was cow you'd probably believe it. The difference is subtle. It was served with a "potato cake", really scalloped and gratined potatoes formed into a square and a berry (forgot which one) sauce. Enjoyed that dish at the Glenfiddich restaurant in Gamla Stan which besides obviously having a wide selection of single malts claimed to serve the largest variety of Swedish microbrews. Tried an IPA which was strong and dry in the American IPA fashion and a nice clean but sharp Pilsener.

Above is the newest member of the LBI curling club (note that he's wearing my hat), the traditional Swedish wooden horse outside Stockholm City Hall. City Hall is the location of the annual Nobel Prize banquet each December 10.

Here's the room where the city council meets.




A painting from a hallway that overlooks the water. The objective of the artist was to mirror the view from the windows.



Here's a ceiling in one of the rooms meant to echo the look of a viking house. The blue panels represent where vent holes in the roof would be.

Here's the room where they hold the Nobel banquet.

We're leaving for Finland in about half an hour. Not sure what the Web situation will be from there but I'll post when possible.

Comments

Jen D. said…
I'm glad to see you guys are having a great time! Sweden is on our list of places to see, Daniel's brother LOVED it when he went last year as well.
You might be able to find the biscuits in Stop & Shop as they do have a small section of English foods, if not, ordering online is always an option. We order from this place a lot for Aussie products you can't get in the US, but no digestive biscuits there.
Look forward to seeing more updates from your adventure!
Linda said…
Funny you ate pickled herring Nana and I used to eat that along with Pickled pigs feet,Sardines in tomatoe sauce and gifilta fish. Dont know if I would eat any of it now. Hope you are still having a great time
JH said…
You should email the Pres. of LBI as she spent a day drinking at the Meadowlands with Foxy. I am sure she would vote in a wooden horse about now.

We had a wonderful steak dinner in South Jersey and a few libations as well.

Have a great rest of the trip. Say hi to Markku when you get to Finland.

Popular posts from this blog

Wizard Of Oz-Dark Side Of The Moon Blog For Top Chef

Anniversary Day