Top Whatever of 2008

“A what?”

“A ranker. A top 10 or 20 list”

“You’re bereft of ideas”

“I know”

“You’ve only been doing this for what, nine, ten months and you already don’t know what to do with it.”

“Pretty much. And I just did the Facebook thing, so that’ll eat up my online time.”

“How’s Facebook going to teach you how to write? How are you ever going to learn anything there?”

“It isn’t, but maybe I’ll learn how to raise Llamas for fun and profit. I hear they have farming courses there. If I can learn how to make money farming, I can quit the rat race and do something fulfilling so I won’t have to inflict myself on the unsuspecting internet anymore”

“You moron, those are VIRTUAL farms. There’s nothing to be learned there.”

“Oh. So why the hell am I doing it?”

“A lot of your friends and family are there. If you communicate via that site you don’t have to call anyone in your family and when you’re at the curling club nobody has to talk to you and you can just watch the hockey games because they already know what you’re thinking from your facebook page. It’s having a social life with no actual interaction, a dream come true for the 21st century!”

“Yeah, that sounds cool.”

“Maybe while you’re not interacting in real life you can come up with something interesting to write here instead of some cockamamie list. “

“Well, isn’t this an interesting way of presenting it?”

“No, you’re just ripping off Breakfast of Champions with this author-internal-dialogue inserted into the story crap.”

“Oh. Right.”

“Why don’t you just post the list and get back to work.”

“Fine.”

1. Finland
2. Sweden
3. The picture collage of same the Mrs. made up as a Christmas present
4. The Moomin books by Tove Jansson
5. “Dear American Airlines” by Jonathan Miles
6. New Orleans with family
7. Learning how to make a pretty good pureed soup.
8. Learning how to braise meat reasonably well.
9. “What Does It All Mean?” by Steinski
10. Mission Of Burma live at the Bowery Ballroom
11.The Grey Cup in Montreal
12. Two dinners at wd-50.
13. Curling with (and against) so many good friends.
14. Staten Island’s emerging restaurant scene
15. Dinner with a bunch of folks from my wife’s family at Brasserie Brunoise in Montreal.
16. The Wilco “residency” bootlegs.
17. LBI
18. Making my own pancetta
19. Non-commercial radio, especially WFMU and WWOZ

Comments

JH said…
Dude, facebook is the dark side. Next thing you know you will be updating your status every 5 minutes and poking friends every minute.
DC said…
I won't get sucked in. I think it's nice that some folks have sent me those plant and animal things but I'm not even opening them. Don't have time. Facebook is a nice way to stay in touch with the younger part of my family and some of my friends. That's it. I use technology for stuff, I refuse to be used by it.

Popular posts from this blog

Wizard Of Oz-Dark Side Of The Moon Blog For Top Chef

More Posts About Buildings and Food

Anniversary Day