Get Me Out Of F-L-A

Well, I'm not even in Florida yet but I couldn't think of a better title for today's drivel.

Tomorrow I rise at the ungodly hour of 4:30am to head into the air travel system once again, this time for a quick in-and-out of Tampa on business. I get to spend 8 hours or so in the travel vortex in exchange for roughly 24 hours in Florida. Good times, indeed.

Points to you if you can name the song from which I stole the title of this post. These points can be redeemed at the end of your life in exchange for any time you wasted coming up with an answer. The lines in one verse that follow are "I cut class/In school yeah/Now I know I made a mistake." Sums up what led to my career in the exciting world of media pretty nicely, actually.

I was on the same bus as the Line Lady again this morning. She was standing on the East side of the bus stop along with Assistant Line Lady. This is significant because as you are well aware the sun rises in the East which meant they were able to swoop in out of the sun and wave me onto the bus before I saw that they were there (I would have to look into the rising sun to see them and the light was blinding, see?) They've advanced their technique to that used by fighter pilots since aircraft became weapons of war. Well played ladies, well played. Their victory was my victory this morning as thanks to their management I wound up getting the last window seat on the right side of the bus which is key since the seats on the right side of the bus have slightly more leg room than those on the left. Sometimes ceding control of a situation has its benefits.

Of course it is easier to cede control for a momentary happening. It is harder to let go for longer periods of time. For instance, I just printed out a bunch of reports that I probably will not have to refer to over the next two days and yet I felt oddly compelled to do so just in case that call came from the office back in NY and I had to answer a question or two. Sure there are people on my staff that can handle any of those types of questions but I still feel the need to carry around the data myself like an ink-dotted paper security blanket. Security against what? Who knows? I'm controlling the situation. That is enough.

Are you in control? Have you taken charge of your situation? Or are you giving it all over to someone or something else? God? Fate? The Line Lady? Rest assured, when you release control either something else will take control or randomness will take over. No matter what, something will happen, even if it's nothing. Isn't that comforting?

Comments

CB said…
Monday - Wilco

Popular posts from this blog

More Posts About Buildings and Food

Wizard Of Oz-Dark Side Of The Moon Blog For Top Chef

Anniversary Day