The Philosophy of Ordering

The always-entertaining Giles Coren has a great piece on steak in the Times (London, not NY).

Well, it’s really a restaurant review, but the bit about steak in general pertains to today’s homily. And it’s also probably a bad idea to post a link to someone who can really write though this blog is built on a foundation of things that are probably bad ideas. Kinda like writing in slang or beginning a sentence with a conjunction.

But I digress.

When you go to a restaurant, how do you order? Notice I didn’t say what because obviously that depends on the place. I think most people have a philosophy that mirrors their approach in other walks of life. I’m not going to point out or tear down anyone’s approach here; however I will do a little psychoanalysis of my own tendencies for your amusement and perhaps to inspire you to examine your own approach. Hey, it’s what the “Comments” section is for.

I tend to order things that I do not/feel I cannot cook for myself at home. What does that say? Actually I think that’s fairly universal. Nothing interesting there so let’s move along.

In a three-course situation, I tend to order something I think I don’t like or that I’ve never had before for one savory course and then play it safe on the other. This says I’m not quite as brave as I make myself out to be when it comes to food. In terms of a broader meaning, it probably says I’m somewhat risk-averse (hmmm…almost 11 years at the same company, 18 years living on the same block, yeah, that sounds about right).

I like tasting menus. This says I have a certain sense of adventure, but it also says I feel more comfortable about being adventurous when I’m not responsible for the consequences. I’m making no decision and can simply blame someone else if it all goes wrong.

I like to research restaurants in advance and order something that they’re “known for”. Obviously, this means either I want full value for my money vis-à-vis the “dining experience” or it’s another indication of being risk-averse. Probably both. It also means I like to make fun of people who order fish at steakhouses or steak at seaside seafood joints or practically anything in a diner. Speaking of diners...

I generally do not like diners. Not all diners. I like diners that focus on breakfast or a few key items. I intensely dislike diners with 10 page menus because you can’t possibly prepare all of that food properly nor have fresh ingredients for every dish.

Hmmm...I guess that’s actually part of the “Philosophy of Restaurant Selection” which is a whole ‘nother post for another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wizard Of Oz-Dark Side Of The Moon Blog For Top Chef

More Posts About Buildings and Food

Anniversary Day