Eye on the ball


Yesterday was my first ballgame sine I had cataract surgery last October. It was a pretty special day since my vision had deteriorated badly last summer and when I went to games I could barely see the ball when it was in play. Put it this way: you want to experience what cataracts are like take a pair of glasses that are exactly the wrong prescription for your vision. Then rub a coating of mayonnaise on the lenses. That's pretty much the way I saw the world the tail end of 2006 and most of 2007.
I still need to have the procedure done on my right eye, though the condition there isn't nearly as bad yet. My left eye is in pretty good shape; the last time I went to the eye doc for a checkup he said there was a little scar tissue around my replacement lens that he could zap with a laser if it was bothering me and I declined for now. "What would it take if I decided down the road I needed it?" I asked. He said "You would sit in a chair, I would aim the laser in your eye and the whole thing would be shorter than this conversation."
OK then.
Like most folks, as I age I appreciate some of what the medical profession has to offer on a much deeper level than I did as a healthy young person. I hope there will be more appreciation down the road and less of the cynicism that grew resulting from some of what went on in my parents' declining days.
Who knows, right?
Doctors are like anyone else I guess. Sometimes you win.
Sometimes.....

Ah, why end on a down note. Even though it's the wrong holiday for it, I'm very thankful this weekend. Thankful for spending a beautiful spring afternoon at the ballpark with my wife and watching her revel in it; there are few things that bring her more happiness then day baseball with perfect weather. Thankful for the friends who came along with us. Thankful for the good food we got at the farmer's market yesterday (they even had green garlic so I didn't have to raid the Mrs.'s pots!)
In other words, thankful for the good stuff and good folks who touch my life.
Tomorrow, be thankful for those who gave everything to protect you. Say a prayer if that's your bag, or better yet send something of substance to the veteran's charity of your choice. Your life would likely be very different without them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Posts About Buildings and Food

Wizard Of Oz-Dark Side Of The Moon Blog For Top Chef

Anniversary Day