Worcestershire Sauce

Ingredients: Vinegar, Molasses, HFCS, Anchovies, Water, Onion, Salt Garlic, Tamarind Concentrate, Cloves, Natural Flavorings, Chili Pepper Extract.

What a heavenly brew! I have loved Worcestershire Sauce since I was a kid. I would guess that my family had it in the house for the purposes of making meatloaf which I believe is it’s most popular application in the United States. However for a while I would put it on just about any savory item. Actually, I probably still would. It is a wondrous thing that is overlooked in today’s culinary world.

Granted, I was a bit of a weird kid food wise. I also had a strong taste for raw hamburger meat with a sprinkling of onion powder. My mom used to let me have a bit but cautioned me not to eat too much lest I get the dreaded “worms”, whatever those were. Come to think of it, to many people I’m a weird adult food-wise. But I digress.

What else is so great about Worcestershire Sauce? Why just look at the bottle (Lea & Perrins, of course): It’s “A Cholesterol Free Food”. “A Fat Free Food”. “Preservative Free” and best of all, it has “80% less sodium than Soy Sauce”!

Huh, who knew that soy sauce was a key competitor to Worcestershire? I didn’t. Even very good soy sauce is to me so one note compared to the wondrous complexity of Worcestershire. I wonder how many folks use the stuff not knowing that a lot of that great flavor comes from anchovies, a fish I also happen to love. Did you know that Worcestershire Sauces is aged for 18 months? I bet you didn’t!

How about this: most people know that Worcestershire Sauce is used in a Bloody Mary, but did you know it was also used in a Mexican variant of that drink where beer is substituted for the vodka? Or that there is a simpler version of that same drink called the Michelada which is basically a beer on the rocks with Worcestershire Sauce, hot sauce and fresh squeezed lime? Why it might actually make Mexican beer taste like something! I need to try one of those, maybe even tonight.

Here’s another one: you know that tasty, original-flavor Chex mix that you can’t stop eating at your friends’ house while you’re playing bridge or at your local watering hole? Guess what the primary flavoring is? Worcestershire Sauce!

Honestly, is there anything Worcestershire can’t improve? Sweets maybe, but I like a little salty counterpoint to something sweet, especially if it involves chocolate. Hmmmm…Worcestershire Sauce added to chocolate chip cookies. I might just have to try that.

So friends and readers, the next time you’re at your local grocery pick up a bottle of Worcestershire Sauce. Throw it in soups. Drizzle it over grilled cheese for a kinda-sorta Welsh Rarebit. Want a proper Caesar Salad? Guess what you need. That’s right. Worcestershire Sauce!

I think that if only people would invest in Worcestershire Sauce, the market would hit 10,000 tomorrow. It’s that good. Try it.

Comments

R R Rabbids said…
No, no, no. I will not put it in my chocolate chip cookies. No.

Popular posts from this blog

More Posts About Buildings and Food

Wizard Of Oz-Dark Side Of The Moon Blog For Top Chef

Anniversary Day