Jamon Iberico

I had to go to Canada to try the "best ham in the world" which happens to come from Spain. They sold it at the Fromagerie Atwater for the modest price of $269.99 (Cdn) per kilo. We bought 100g or about $27 worth.


I'm not a food stylist by any stretch of the imagination so these pictures do not do this product justice.

So I'm sure you're asking: was it worth it? Depends. I'm glad to have finally tried the stuff. It is nutty and sweet and subtle and complex and feels like pure luxury on your tongue. Even more so than something like foie gras. Jamon Iberico is the finest thing I've ever eaten from a pig.

However.

I can get excellent prosciutto di parma for about $25 a pound. Did this taste five times better ($269 a kilo means roughly $130 per pound) than that? No. But it was outstanding. And I will buy the same small amount again when I can to savor slowly on its own or with a small slice of Italian bread. It needs no condiment or accompaniment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wizard Of Oz-Dark Side Of The Moon Blog For Top Chef

More Posts About Buildings and Food

Anniversary Day