Wilco (The Post)

I get old. I get jaded. Things that used to excite me don't anymore. Comes with age, I guess.

The one thing that still excites me is great live music. Wilco is one of the great live rock bands of our time (and of course this is a completely subjective judgement; there is no objective reality when it comes to the perception of live sound except for that registered on a decibel meter). This would explain why I have seen them live 15 times (well, including side projects). My show "collection" listed below is of no particular interest to anyone but me so you can stop reading here unless you want to be impressed by the fact that some nut out there is keeping a website with setlists of every single Wilco and Wilco-related live performance ever.

10/18/02 Roseland Ballroom, NYC
12/7/02 St. Ann’s Warehouse, Brooklyn (Loose Fur)
4/23/03 Bowery Ballroom NYC (Minus 5)
6/26/03 Central Park Summerstage NYC
6/27/03 Central Park Summerstage NYC
10/5/04 Radio City Music Hall, NYC
10/6/04 Radio City Music Hall, NYC
12/31/04 Madison Square Garden
4/22/05 New Orleans Jazzfest (Fairgrounds Race Course)
11/16/05 Tribeca Performing Arts Center, NYC (Jeff Tweedy Solo)
8/6/06 Grant Park, Chicago IL (Lollapalooza)
6/22/07 Count Basie Theater, Red Bank New Jersey
12/15/08 Madison Square Garden (opening for Neil Young)
7/13/09 Keyspan Park, Brooklyn NY
7/18/09 Dutchess Stadium, Wappingers Fall, NY

I did the nerdy fan thing and put in a request through the website. Jeff Tweedy isn't a fan of people who yell out songs during shows so the band put up a request link on their site. Well, I'm not sure how much he gets annoyed but he does often make fun of people who yell requests during show. Anyway, if you submit a request you get to see the top "vote-getters" for the show you will be attending and I'm hopeful that my choice will get played since it's #3. Here's the list:

Pot Kettle Black
ELT
Cars Can't Escape
Ashes Of American Flags
Magazine Called Sunset
Country Disappeared
Theologians
Remember the Mountain Bed
California Stars
Passenger Side

Bored yet? Oh let me be. I have tried to entertain you, my fictitious readers with my dopey photographs and pointless death-fueled ramblings. Allow me to be self-indulgent with this space in a different fashion. Consider this a diary entry. A glimpse into the Real DC. That way when I'm five years dead and you're scratching your head trying to remember the faintest detail of what kind of person I was you might stumble across this and say "Hey, he liked that Wilco band that NPR liked in the first decade of the 21st century" kind of like people around my office fumble around with small talk to make and always wind up with "So, how's curling going?" I wonder what they'd say if I had never mentioned curling or if I told them that some things in my life used to excite me but don't anymore. Ah, mustn't do that. That would approach the level of real conversation which is the last thing you want to have with your fellow paper pushers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wizard Of Oz-Dark Side Of The Moon Blog For Top Chef

More Posts About Buildings and Food

Anniversary Day